In the building and industrial industries, custom metal is one of the most sought after sorts of raw material. Metal fabrication is required when something needs to be created of metal, yet it can be as simple as using an arc welder and a portable cutting torch. Custom metal fabrication is what you require when you need anything made from metal to more exact specifications, be it for fragile metal decorations, steel building beams, or something in between.
What is Custom Metal Fabrication?
Custom metal fabrication refers to the complete process of creating machine parts and structural components out of raw metal resources. This implies that metal manufacturing encompasses everything from cutting and shaping to final assembly.
Custom metal fabrication may be used for projects as simple as component casting and can scale up to incorporate whole pieces of machinery and equipment.
Custom metal fabrication at TNN Engineering involves the use of a variety of industrial tools and equipment to cut, bend, roll, and weld metal into complicated forms and assemblies.
The Eight Steps Consisted in the Custom Metal Fabrication Process
A custom sheet metal fabrication process will usually include any or all of the eight steps listed below:
- The majority of metal manufacturing operations begin with the cutting of large sheets of metal into smaller portions. The size of these pieces will be determined mostly by the product design and the restrictions of any required machinery.
- Metal surfaces are twisted into various forms during the folding process. Depending on the design requirements, press brakes and folding machines may be utilised to achieve these bends.
- Welding is the process of joining two independent metal components by melting them and pushing them to come together. This might entail welding two discrete components together to form a bigger component, or assembling huge completed pieces to complete a final product.
- A range of various cutting and shaping tools are used in machining to remove pieces from a piece of metal. Typically, the metal will be spun against certain equipment to cut away bits of the product until it reaches the appropriate form or size.
- Punch presses employ force to make holes in metal that may be used to secure other pieces. This procedure can be used to attach additional parts to a bigger object or to produce holes in a sheet that will be cut into smaller pieces later. This procedure can be conducted by a simple manual punch press or a bigger, more complicated CNC punch press, depending on the design and size of the metal to be punched.
- Stamping, like punching, employs compressive force on a die to form a metal sheet, but it does not pierce the base material. Metal stamping has a wide range of uses, such as imprinting branding or letters onto a metal product or generating a certain design form. A sequence of progressive dies may be used in more sophisticated designs to make gradual modifications in the item as it progresses through the process.
- Shearing is the process of producing lengthy cuts in metal sheets. This method is frequently used to trim the edges of lengthy metal sheets.
- Molten metal is poured into a mould and allowed to solidify into the final design shape during casting. This adaptable fabrication method is widely used to produce sophisticated shapes.
TNN Engineering is a Brisbane engineering company that specialises in metal fabrication and precision engineering for the construction, mining, automotive, and agricultural industries. TNN, located in Carole Park, Brisbane, has invested in contemporary machine tools and procedures to give our clients capability and consistency. Our machine shop is equipped with a variety of CNC lathes and mills, including a 5 Axis Multi-tasking Lathe that can do complicated turning and milling operations in a single setup. This increases quality while decreasing setup and machining time.
4 Metals Commonly Used in Metal Fabrication
Pipe and Tube
- Pipe and tube are both hollow. Pipes are always cylindrical in form. Tubes come in square, rectangular, and circular shapes. Pipes have a pressure rating and are designed to transport fluids or gases. Tubes, on the other hand, are utilised for structural purposes.
Metals for Structural Purposes
- Structural metal is any prefabricated piece of metal designed for uniform assembly. This material is a key facet of the construction and engineering sectors, and common examples include bars, beams, angles, and channels.
Plate and Sheet Metals
- Flat metal is a basic material that comes prefabricated in a variety of thicknesses, however portions are frequently rather thin. Flat metals include leaf metal, sheet metal, and plate metal. Construction, household appliances, military, and defence are all examples of applications.
- Solid Shapes such as round, square, and rectangular solid shapes carbon steel, stainless steel, aluminium, and other materials of various grades are available. Can be machined, bent, rolled, and cut to length for a variety of purposes.
Why Should You Choose Custom Metal Fabrication?
Any business owner can benefit greatly from custom precision metal fabrication. Some consumers often shun bespoke work since it is more expensive than stock items; nevertheless, cheaper options are generally cheaper for a reason! If you want quality, versatility, and longevity, there is only one answer: custom metal fabrication.
This is because the design is tailored to your individual needs and can sustain far more frequent use. When dealing with stock metal or other items, they will have been fabricated to a standard.
Highlighted below are some unique benefits of custom sheet metal fabrication:
Precision Projects Can Be Modified
- Metal fabrication experts can build goods that are compatible with the gear you’re using. Compatibility isn’t always guaranteed. Prefabricated alternatives may not be suitable.
- Customising the shape and size of a sheet metal form allows it to be compatible with a variety of unique hardware—hardware that a pre-existing design not built for a certain machine may not fit ideally.
Durability and resilience
- Custom sheet metal items can surely address many difficulties, but you must ensure that they do not generate further problems by breaking quickly. Despite its small weight, sheet metal is regarded for being incredibly sturdy and strong, implying that the things you buy will operate as hard as they seem.
- Sheet metal goods are also recognised to be very resistant to a wide range of environmental conditions, including rain and sun. This implies they may be utilised in outdoor applications with ease.
Custom Fabricators Make It Possible To Salvage Older Equipment
- Nobody likes to get rid of a dependable piece of machinery just because the old components are no longer accessible or in production. If your gear fails after decades of service, you may find yourself with no choice except to replace it. A custom metalwork specialist, on the other hand, may reverse-engineer pieces that are no longer in production. Rather than striving to find what you want, have it custom-made to your specifications.
Why Choose TNN Engineering for your Custom Metal Fabrication in Brisbane
These are only a few of the advantages of employing custom metal fabrications in your operations rather than stock or standardised ones, which may more than balance the additional cost. When selecting a custom sheet metal fabrication company, it is critical to do your homework because not all companies are capable of producing the same level of work. TNN Engineering has years of experience, polishing our talents across the board to provide our customers with a quality product and verifiable bottom line value.
TNN Engineering provides custom sheet metal fabrication and welding services to meet our clients’ specific needs and deadlines. Our welding business in Brisbane is a well-equipped fabrication shop where we can cut, crop, roll, and bend steel in order to assemble and weld it as needed. For welded fabrications that require weld preparations or final machining after welding, machining, including high precision CNC milling and turning, may be accomplished on-site.
Contact a member of our Brisbane team immediately to set up a quotation, an appointment, or just to discuss your custom metal fabrication needs or concerns.